Monday, October 27, 2008

A Passion for Horses

S started showing a great interest in horses at 2 1/2. I thought it would be a passing phase as with


many other interest. Lets see, there was gymnastics, and ballet, and tap, and Tae Kwon Do, and swimming off and on, right now it's on :) But horses have been a constant. From the time she realized she could ride them she has been asking for lessons. Well, she was a bit to young so I made sure I brought her to visit local horse farms where she was able to interact with them, still thinking this is a phase and will pass.


WRONG, she now wants nothing more than to own a horse. When asked in Kindergarten what she wanted to be when she grew up......."A horse owner" Whatever makes you happy baby girl! At this point I started to look around for a place for riding lessons. Not as easy as you would think. It took me six months to find a place that would give riding lessons to a child this young. And we are so glad we found The Farmhouse Center. They are the best!


I know I am late in posting as she actually started lessons last April, went to horse camp for four weeks this summer and is now continuing with her lessons. Her first lesson was on a beautiful sunny spring day in April. They had her on a mini which I was happy to see, or thought at the time it was a good idea..............NOT. The cute little mini was mad his friend was out in the pasture frolicking around eating grass and took off on a mad dash throwing my baby to the ground. I sucked in so much air I choked, then stood helplessly as her riding coach got the mini , as to prevent him from trampling my baby, then going over to Shea who by this time standing up. I kept thinking "there is no way she is going to get back on that horse. I don't want her to get back on that horse. She needs to get back on the horse, no she doesn't, yes she does, no she doesn't, it's up to her, I hope she doesn't, I hope she does...........she looked at me with the same determination I have seen on her face so many times (along with scratches from the rocks she fell on) and got back on. She looked at me again once she was back in the saddle (OK, now would be a good time to hide my fears). I gave her the thumbs up with tears in my eyes (that she couldn't see by the way!)

OK, sucking in more air, and now praying that Clay (that was the little mini) wouldn't buck my baby off again. He didn't, and after the lesson, S told me that "Clay just got cranky because his friend was eating grass. I wasn't scared mama, that is why I wear a helmet. He was just being silly and next week they said I can ride one of the big horses!!!!" Come again? To me, big horse = longer fall. WHAT? Of course this is coming from a person who has always been nervous around large animals. My little 40 pound baby girl was not giving up. I certainly did not want my fears to rub off on her so I agreed and told her how proud I was of her. And I truly was so very proud of her. What a spirit she has!


Fast forward, eight months later to the present. I have relaxed....somewhat :) Actually the horses she is riding seem much more gentle than the rather spirited mini's. She has this way with horses. It amazes me to watch her with them. She has no fear. She will walk into a pasture full of horses that tower over her and get to business brushing, talking, and feeding. She talks to them like they understand her every word and sometimes, I think they do! Seeing her on this huge animal, watching her control a horse by herself just amazes me. She knows every horse at this farm by name and personality. One day she took us into the pasture where all the ponies are so she could brush them. I had JT with me (strapped in the stroller because for those of you that know her well, she would have been rolling in the poop) and the ponies would come stick there muzzle on her face checking her out. I think Shea sensed my nervousness (even ponies have big teeth ya know) because she said "Don't worry mama, that one is gentle. Don't let C near her though because she is a nipper"

I have a feeling that someway or another, horses will always be a part of Shea's life. I am so glad she has found something that stirs such a passion in her. Whatever makes you happy baby girl!

No comments:

Family

Can't Wait to bring you home Jian Lei!


Home one Month!


We Got Her!!!!!!

<